Thursday, March 23, 2006

*poofs*

Dudes..many apologies..i didn't realize how important this blog was to some of thee! I've just been really busy freaking out about EVERYTHING! Ok..things to freak out about:

There's obviously the lab stuff to freak out about..as always, except that this time its not a worry about what my results are telling me (which is clearly nothing), but rather about my friend Steve. He's off to San Fransisco at the end of this month for his first official conference! I mean, months of his work is going to be finally recognized at one of the biggest scientific conferences ever held! I think i'm freaking out about him more than he is. I guess I just keep imagining what I would go through if I were in his shoes...thankfully he hasn't fainted..yet. But the important thing is that 'we are all here.' :)

I've had a constant run of exams and papers that have been due, and i've procrastinated on every one of them! But fortunately I worked my butt off and did really really well on all of them. :) So I guess I finally realized that I really DO work best under pressure..and NO..you don't want to see me then! Actually, thats probably when you don't see me at all..like anywhere, i disappear! *poof*

Speaking of poofs and vanishes, I got to go to an actual magic show! No, not any normal magic show with a dude and his talented origami, I mean like making people travel to Perth, Australia magic!!! :o..yup, I saw David Copperfield for under $30! And in all that he made a car appear on the stage, a huge group of people disappear from the stage and end up only a few feet next to us in the grand tier, shorten his body to a few inches, a few card tricks, travel to Perth, Australia and back (with freaky proof), and predict lottery numbers and underwear colors! It was great and all...but we were slightly disappointed only because we expected sooo much more (like roaring lions and the Statue of Liberty appearing before us in Michigan and levitating people)! But later came to the conclusion that in the amount of space Miller provides it would have been impossible for him to perform much greater stunts. Plus I'm kind of a strong believer of magic, in that I know that its all an illusion, perhaps I went to the show in order to prove to myself that there was indeed something greater. But I just wanted to have that one chance to see something magical, instead I just ended up scientifically and rationally questioning how every single trick might have been performed. I think just knowing beforehand that it was all an illusion kinda ruined the moment for me. :( I just wish I could go back to the time when I didn't really know much about reality..but hey! Life is real, so I gotta live it that way! And we all had a blast going to iHOP for dinner...it was my first time there for DINNER...mind you, iHOP always struck me as a 'haven for breakfast.'

Um, my pathology class RULES!!! Dr. Eversole took us on a tour through the imaging center at Haenicke and we got to see some of the largest electron, transmission, and confocal microscopes in western Michigan. And we even got to see neutrophils degranulating at an absolutely amaaazingly fast rate!!! *gasps* Seriously! The speed at which life happens is incomprehensible! And we're here sitting worrying about what we'll be doing for summer or the next year when each and every millisecond that passes major changes and interactions are taking place in our bodies..(for example the immune war). Its mind boggling! *mind boggled*

Just to end on an advisory note: Do ya'll by chance know that smoking is bad for you? And I mean ANY kind of smoking?!
To get the point across, I quote Dr. Eversole: "So, people always tell me 'I smoke light cigarettes'..I always say 'Well then, you just DIE LIGHTLY!!!'"

I was also thinking about the possibilities of the next world war III...I had an epiphany that maybe, just maybe, nature has granted us such power than we are now in control of our own demise! *eek* Maybe nature has empowered us with our own weapon for extinction..nuclear weapons!

No comments: