Friday, March 17, 2006

the helix!



Woa...Slashdot just posted this article about how this new nebula has been discovered in the center of our Milky Way galaxy...and its shaped like a DOUBLE HELIX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :O


I am speechless..yet I have soo much to say!



O my goodness! Is that not astonishing? Amazing? Freaky? Yet possibly the coolest, most awesome and intiriguing discovery I have EVER come across. Somehow, it shakes me to the core! *shivers* How could something that is the basis of our existance, one of the most infinitely small molecules that governs life, be so infinitely huge, not to mention at the very CENTER of OUR galaxy? Is this just a coincidence? Are there other nebula's like this out there..but if so, wouldn't we have seen them before? It seems to me, literally, like a sign from the 'heavens!' Something that is just blatantly there...and so significant and representative to us humans! Why should this simple shape be so powerful to me? Simply because I have been conditioned to recognize and respect this shape ever since I learned about the existance of life. And to find this shape within another most significant power that I respect, namely space, I cannot help but think of all these correlations between the two! I cannot help but think its there for a reason, and that's just blows me away! I always thought that what humans define stays within our dictionaries on earth..that we can relate them to other things to understand other things better but that I question "who are we to define things?" But when something like this comes about, I wonder and think of the enormous power we have to imagine and believe. We are indeed amazing, and I cannot imagine what else is in store for us out there..perhaps, although not always, I sit here in absolute awe at the respect our specie demands regarding our capabilities. I sit in awe at the message everything around us is sending us. I sit in awe at our power, at our imagination, at our life.

6 comments:

Boomer said...

Mike read that article too and told me about it late last night, but I was so tired I don't think I even realized how intriguing it was. It kind of makes us realize just how much we don't know yet, and how much of what we already know is so important. The future will definitely be interesting--as Stapleton likes to say, "This is an exciting time for science."

Anonymous said...

I know! And it amaazes me how much curiosity we have...we think we can 'know it all' eventually...but isn't that a little scary? What will we have to live for then if our curiosity is COMPLETELY satisfied?!

shruts said...

*haha* I think my time/clock thingi is WAY off!

Anonymous said...

Heh, pues, no creo que saberiamos todos que hay en el mundo, asi no tienes que preoccuparte de eso. Y algomas, yo tengo un otro (theory) en eso tambien.

But I don't have the vocabulary to discuss that in spanish. Hit me up on AIM and ask me about the theory I somewhat subscribe to about our future in 50 years, with technology advancing like it is. A friend of mine explained it to me. But be warned, it's intense.

shruts said...

intensity ruleth!

Boomer said...

SHRUTI! Seriously, where the heck are you?! *withdrawls*