Monday, April 16, 2007

*eee*

:)

I is happy. Friday the 13th ended up being the best day of my entire life. Better than President's Scholar Award day. That day, I attended a Spanish Department Award ceremony, which I thought would be relatively short and simple..as in I would get a certificate of my greatness in spanish..that is all. But it was SO much more. My friend Lauren, fellow Chemistry Presidents Scholar was there as well, so I think she's following along in my 'footsteps' if I ever had any. ;) *checks* *yup* I gots some. :D (they're cute too)

Anywho, I really wanted my parents to attend, but since I didn't know what a big deal it was, I didn't really feel too sad at their absence. So I check my name on the program sheet, and I'm like 7th down, for the Maria Moliner Award. I have no clue what it is ofcourse. I saw some of my favorite professors in the WORLD though (Sr. Pastrana-Perez, Sr. Felkel, Sr. Millar, Sra. Montilla), so I spoke to them. (lots of hugs, and a few kisses from Dr. Felkel! *haha*)It was GREAT!!!! And Dr. Pastrana explained to me what the award meant, mainly that Maria Moliner had written the world's BEST illustrated Spanish Dictionary, in a time when the male gender dominated such fields. So this award, in his eyes, was representative of me entering medicine, a field predominated by males. (which I wonder if it's true anymore *contemplates*) But that got my spirits up, and I had a seat, after which the award ceremony began.

There were about nine seniors in the category I was in, each with their own award. eg. my friend Mary got the Premio Antonio de Nebrija. *yay Mary!!* :D ..for her 'intellectual wit' (she's a friggin' mathematical genius). But what surprised me the most was that before handing out the award, they described the award, and the origins of the award's name, but then they went into PRAISING..literally, PRAISING EACH AND EVERY STUDENT!!! Every award was preceded by at least three quotes about the student from different professors. So obviously, when it came to me, I was already trembling. Dr. Pastrana, Dr. Millar, Dr. Felkel, and Dr. Montilla had SO MANY things to say, they couldn't STOP!!! OMG. I was barely able to stand when I went up to get the award, and my eyes started watering and my throat hurt. O dear. It was the best, most honorable experience of my LIFE. :)

*whew* So, I'm happy. It's moments like these when I feel appreciated when I least exptected it. I love such moments. Most of all, I love that the people I most respect bestowed upon me such an unexpected honor. It's not the award that counts (which by the way was the LaRousse Illustrated, that Maria Moliner wrote) it was all the hugs, and kisses, and the exchange of nervous spanish jutting out of my being. *haha* It was priceless.

And then..THEN..my family and I planned to have dinner at Olive Garden that night, and my mom wore a Sari!!!! She looked PHENO-MEN-AL!!! HOLY CRAYOLA! My dad and I wouldn't stop swooning over her! *haha* It was an AWESOME dinner, full of love, and family. Just family.

So those of ye who believe Friday the 13th is bad..I kid you not, there's no such thing. Every day could be spent joyously. It's how you decide to appreciate it that counts. So make the most of it eh?!

:)

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh YEAY!!! You are AMAZING!! :) *hugs*

shruts said...

:D *big hug back!* :D :D :D

Dude, you are missed! :* I hope everything's going well for you!

Anonymous said...

=D Aw thanks!! Everythings going okay, not as super spectacularly sweet as you.... :P

Boomer said...

Oh man Shruit, congratulations!!! That's so awesome. :)

I really miss you a lot. :-( I haven't seen you in like a month, and I'm not sure when I'll get to. Next weekend Mike will be in the process of moving out, the following he graduates, and the one after that I'M moving out! Everything is CRAZY!! But know that I miss and I love you and I can't wait to see you again! :D XOXO

shruts said...

O yea, I know when you've been away long when my name magically converts to Shruit. ;) :D :D :D

..i love it! *haha* ..but not as much as i Love YOU! *giggles away*

Boomer said...

*rolls eyes*

You could always make a career in spell-checking. You seem to have vast annoying talents in that field. :P

shruts said...

*beams with pride @ unknown but now KNOWN talent* :)