Wednesday, April 05, 2006

obviousity

um..slashdot, my mahvelous scientific news god, says that they've found a gigantic cloud of methanol out there somewhere(in our milky way)..eh..isn't that like ORGANIC MATTER IN SPACE!!! It just astounds me how many possibilities/explanations there are of how life on earth began. And we humans think we know it all..not. I mean, ok fine, it could have been god's 7-day creation, or RNA magic, or the spagetti-monster with his 'noodly appendage.'

Speaking of gods and heavens...one of my favorite chemistry professors, Dr. Perkovic, passed away this past Saturday. I cried. He seemed to be the only professor who truly understood my background, and had soo much faith in my future. He awarded me with a freshman chemistry award, and also introduced me to Dr. Stapleton. He was so funny, so cheerful, and so kind. I can't believe it really. Its the first time someone who I actually saw pretty often and talked with all the time blocking up hallways to talk about indian food is gone. Thus far, all the deaths that have occured have been physically far away, in that when my grandpa's passed they were in India and I was here. Only when I went back there did it hit me, hard. But this is the first time its that close. And I just spoke to Dr. Perkovic last week..and he asked me, "hello Mr. Hexane" who is apparently some stranger who writes 'Mr. Hexane says hi' on the board in front of his office. He thought only I could be nerdy enough to do so, (apparently not) and thought it was me. Everyone else I talk to seems indifferent, or seems not to know how much he really mattered to me. He was going to be one of the people who wrote my letters of reference for med school, and i was supposed to cure him when I became a world-famous surgeon for free. It was my promise. I will keep that promise. I will. I will miss him. But I have to let him go. He was a very kind friend. A very kind teacher. (he loved sailing)

Its really strange..whenever I do an experiment, I imagine him standing there just making fun of my pipetting skills. *giggles*

I hope ya'll say a prayer for him...woa, isn't it strange that its times like these when I believe in god. Times when I'm in trouble or pain..when I'm like "God, forgive me for not believing you these past few months. I believe right now. I might not in a few weeks..so sorry. But could you please help me out...?"

2 comments:

Boomer said...

I'm so sorry Shruti. I heard about Dr. Perkovic on Monday, and I was supposed to re-take Gen Chem II with him this summer. :-(

I was obviously not as close to him as you were, but I can imagine what the loss must mean to you, considering I understand how passionate you are about your future. When you find someone to connect with like that it's special and rare, and it hurts so much when you lose it.

Just be glad for what he taught you, and the ideals that he introduced you to. Obviously he played an important role in your love for your studies and your future career--always remember why, and he'll never truly be gone.

*big hugs*

shruts said...

*muah's*