Sunday, February 10, 2008

Quest



I found this animation the other day. It caught my eye simply because of the title, which just so happens to be my favorite word of all (apart from quintessence, but that's beside the point). *continues* I suppose it shouldn't surprise me, but the object of the quest is the "elixir of life," aka. water. And I stopped to think of the beauty of such a simple molecule. Just the fact that it is bent bestows it with the fluidity in its movements, the symmetry of it's crystal structures, and the ability to truly define life as it is.

More importantly, I found myself defining what MY quest in life is. But the answer came almost immediately - enlightenment, Ultimate understanding. I can't say I'm even close to waking up from the sandy beach much less oozing into the oceans of my reward, but I've at least recognized that there IS a sandy beach...that my pursuits hold some merit, and that they are true to who I am. Maybe I will loose some sandy parts to myself, maybe I will disintegrate. But maybe I will find myself finally free of having to associate structure with everything.

I once heard a physicist describe what space was truly like. It's not everything it's hyped up to be. There aren't magnanimous stars and nebula's everywhere you look, no dazzling light to brighten the darkness, and certainly no galaxies to color the Universe's sky. At any given point in the vast Universe there are no lights, no atoms. It's pure empty. Structureless. Disassociated from and with everything, but also so unified. It's incomprehensible to me though, simply because I cannot appreciate it for what it truly is. That's only one little part of what I seek to fully respect. Just one.

And there's always so much more to understand. No, I don't think I've woken up from my sandy slumber. But I do know there is a beach. I can't wait to ooze into sand, survive paper tornadoes, crumble beneath rocks, and be obliviated by metal. I can't wait to reach my water. My elixir of life. The only thing that keeps me whole.

No comments: