Sunday, February 17, 2008

the egg and the yolk

I woke up today, slightly enlightened.

I was looking at a glimmer of the sun through my blinds, and my eyes, having the less-than-perfect ability that they do without contact lenses, seemed to show me a long dull band of light with a blurry but fiery core. The first thing that came to mind was (obviously if you know me you'd think I'd see this) a galaxy.

A sombrero galaxy. On my ceiling.

My thought continued. This time it was an atom. The center - a nucleus of protons and neutrons surrounded by a haze of electrons.

An atom. In my mind.

And then the final image appeared, in which I felt momentarily enlightened. It was a cell, the center - a cluster of DNA and protein, surrounded by a sea of organic and inorganic molecules.

A cell. In my body.

I reveled in my self-discovery. But thought nothing of it and brushed my teeth. But just now another image came to mind. That of an egg, and it's yolk immersed in a white cocoon. It seems too incredible. It's too profound. Everything has a center. Everything has a nucleus. Everything revolves around an impetus. The nucleus of an atom, to the nucleus of a cell, to a yolk of an egg, to the center of a galaxy. There is always a center. I wonder if it's mere coincidence. And honestly, it probably is. As a human I WANT to make it seem like there IS a rhyme and reason to the pattern. But there probably isn't. Pff...just the thought astounds me though. How could this be?

How could I have not seen this before?

No comments: