Saturday, December 02, 2006

wit

I highly recommend, that anyone, absolutely anyone who loves either literature, science, or medicine watch the movie Wit. I just watched it, and yes, it's one of those 'slow' ones, but incredibly powerful it is. It's about an english professor, an absolutely astounding scholar of the poetry of Donne, who has ovarian cancer and decides to take a trial drug for 8 months that might cure her. It's powerful I say, because so far, nothing has this clearly showed me the reality about health care. Nothing.


Death be not proud, though some have called thee
Mighty and dreadful, for, thou art not so,
For, those, whom thou think'st, thou dost overthrow,
Die not, poor death, nor yet canst thou kill me.
From rest and sleep, which but thy pictures be,
Much pleasure, then from thee, much more must flow,
And soonest our best men with thee do go,
Rest of their bones, and soul's delivery.
Thou art slave to Fate, Chance, kings, and desperate men,
And dost with poison, war, and sickness dwell,
And poppy, or charms can make us sleep as well,
And better than thy stroke; why swell'st thou then?
One short sleep past, we wake eternally,
And death shall be no more; death, thou shalt die.
-Donne (Wit)

4 comments:

Boomer said...

I can't wait to give you your birthday/Christmas gifts. :D

shruts said...

you nerd...i haven't even thought about my birthday yet! and EVERYONE keeps asking me about it or telling me..'we're taking you out right?' ..me: 'uh *shudders*'

;) i'm SO excited now..i know what one is already! *ha* probably a GORGEOUS DRAGON PAINTING! This is my mahvelous psychic prediction.

i'd better get started on thinking about yours though..*ee* :D

O..cool fact: I LOVE YOU! *mua mua mua*

Boomer said...

Haha, unfortunately, the thing I'm "making" for you will not be finished in time for your birthday--school just completely prevented me from spending the needed amount of time to finish it before Christmas break. But fear not! For if I have my way you will not have to wait very long. ;)

shruts said...

*fears not* *blu-ha-ha* :D