Friday, April 14, 2006

Life is crap

Life is seriously interesting. Very. I'm amazed.

I could be slapping myself on the face in front of my friend and die laughing from doing so, and the next minute find out that the tuition remission I was receiving thus far from my dad being a professor doesn't apply to me anymore because i HAD to be an overachiever and fulfill the 130 credit hours before everyone else because i have three frikkin' majors!!!!!!!!!! And for good reason that I have a Biomedical Sciences, Chemistry, and Spanish major simply because I want to be a doctor, and these majors will really help me out in medical school! And now, I can't pay for my senior year in college ($9000). Is that what it comes down to? Does it come down to someone wanting to achieve their dream but not being able to fulfill it because of financial trouble? Have I sacrificed this much time and money on all these majors only to have to drop some of them? NO..I DO NOT want to give them up. I am NOT going to.

I've run around all across campus, the Biological Sciences department, Spanish department, and Honors college just begging, PLEADING to help me out with some scholarships. The problem?..well, until now, I didn't 'qualify' for them because I wasn't a US citizen yet, but now that I am a permanent resident, I simply cannot apply now because its too late. And there is no possible way on earth that I can fund my last year of education here. I mean, thats the reason I came here in the first place is that my dad's status as a prof could help me out. But we absolutely did not know that it applied only ffor 130 credit hours and no further. Fortunately 20 of those will be compensated for by my AP credits from high school, so atleast I can pay for my summer courses. But what do I do after that? How does everyone else do this?

I am a good student. I am an excellent student. I love what I do. I love what I want to do. I want it so badly, and I know I have sacrificed soo much to pursue my dream here, but why should something financial like this limit me from doing so? Why do I have to find out that i'm getting a Biological Sciences award and the next that it really might not even matter because I might not even be able to complete my studies here!

I need to find a job. MCATs are coming up April 22.

3 comments:

Boomer said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Boomer said...

I know exactly how you feel. Since I first came to WMU I haven't had the money to pay for it, and it has been an uphill climb pulling together the loans, scholarships, and resources necessary to make it happen. And as i'm on the verge of going to pharmacy school and completed the last uphill climb, I'm facing an even higher tuition for another four years. The idea of being smart enough, having the potention, being good enough to go but being turned away anyway because I couldn't afford it, keeps me awake almost every night. You and I have worked very very hard. We've done our part--we deserve the opportunity.

I don't have a solution for you. I wish I did--I truly do, because in turn I would have a solution for myself. All I know is that this is the only chance we get to take on the world, to do exactly what we want for the rest of our lives, and to get ourselves out of the financial situations that our parents might suffer through. And because I know what this time of my life means for my future, I keep trying everyday--I search for scholarships, loans, grants, anything to help pay for that next class.

Don't give up. Money is trivial, yet so vital to our existence. I know that you will find a way merely because you have to, just like I will find a way for myself.

I'm here if you need me.

shruts said...

ya man, its just so sudden. i mean why did this have to happen a week before the MCAT?!